Monday, December 17, 2012

The Next...Big..THING!

So, some of my writer-ly friends are doing a little online blog networking called, "The Next Big Thing" where we answer some questions about what we're working on and then forward you--our readers--to check out each other's blogs and websites, because you might find that you enjoy their writing as well. So, here's mine. I was dragged, kicking and screaming, into this black lagoon by none other than my good friend, author of the "Memorial Trilogy" Robert R. Best, and you can read his Next Big Thing, self-interview HERE. So, without further ado, here is my Next Big Thing.



What is your working title of your book?
“A Sunset Revival” it is a work in progress. I've already designed the cover though (a bit premature? Maybe but look, its cool).

Where did the idea come from for the book?
I wanted to blend two of my favorite things—westerns and H.P.Lovecraft

What genre does your book fall under?
Western/Horror, think Bonanza meets the Cthulhu Mythos

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Colin Farrell (Since James Garner is too old) as my Irish gambler. Kurt Russell as my heroic rancher, Peter Stormare as my villain.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
An old west adventure where a giant, killer grizzly is only the second worst thing to terrorize the citizens of Canyon City.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I’m hoping to snag a publisher but I will self publish if I must.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
I’m still working on it…still at the very beginning in fact but I’ve written three chapters in about three weeks.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Oh Jesus…I know there are other great horror westerns out there but I haven’t read any of them. I guess I’ve taken some of Ralph Compton’s “The Oregon Trail” and blended it with a sort of general Lovecraftiness.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
The legend of Old Mose. A real grizzly bear that killed men and livestock in Montana(?) in the 1900’s.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
It ties into a larger western horror universe that I’m putting together via other shorts and novellas that have overlapping characters and settings.

Now that that's over, please give some love and attention to the following writers. Friends of mine who are all excellent fellows (and a lady) and damn good writers.










No comments:

Post a Comment